Sexual Activity Makes My Eyes Burn

I’m a 35-year-old male. I have a problem where my eyes will become very irritated; they will burn and tear up uncontrollably. It has been gradually getting worse over the last 5 years and it got more severe than you can imagine. It has taken me years but I have finally identified the problem and it has to do with ejaculating too much. I guess my sexual lifestyle was more than my body could handle. After I would orgasm, within minutes or hours, my eyes would begin to burn and stay this way. There was no relief. It took me so long to identify the problem because I would orgasm on a daily basis so my eyes constantly burned 24/7. Another major side effect of excessive orgasm was nervousness. I progressively got more and more nervous as the years went on.

The great news is that I have found help for my problems from Dr (name withheld) who has an orgasm research institute in Florida. His products are available online. He told me via email medically what is happening and I am contacting you for your opinion on his comments. He said the following when I contacted him about my problem…

He said, “Burning eyes from inflammatory capillaries due to excessive stress hormones norepinephrine and epinephrine, histamine and glutamate with lack of serotonin, GABA and melatonin. Nervousness due to poor levels of dopamine, acetylcholine, serotonin and GABA with high levels of cortisol, but low levels of DHEA, testosterone and DHT.”

He said to take his herbs and fish oil and I will recover 100% in 6 months to a year. I am into the 3rd month of taking his herbs and I’m seeing some progress but I am trying to figure out if the improvement is due to a change in my sex life or through taking his herbs or a combo of both. I am in over $500 in his herbal products but intend on continuing as I am seeing improvement…

There is no question that an orgasm releases chemicals in the body, including histamine that may produce the reaction in your eyes, especially if you already have allergies. Orgasms can produce temporary emotional reactions as well such as crying. However, in my opinion, the interpretation of your symptoms by the “orgasm research institute” is designed to sell his herbal remedies more than explain your symptoms. Excessive orgasms do not produce nervousness and the other interpretations associated with nervousness are clinically unfounded. While neurotransmitters are clearly associated with the majority of psychiatric illnesses, he is depicting multiple disruptions in levels of 14 neurotransmitters and body chemicals as directly related to itchy/watery eyes and nervousness. I can’t buy it at all.

I would recommend consultation with an allergy specialist for your eye-related issues. I would also recommend reviewing information on this website related to anxiety to evaluate your anxiety symptoms. If you have changed your sex life your symptoms will change anyway. I also think by addressing the issues and symptoms, and altering your behavior or changing your sexual behavior, you will improve as well, without hundreds of dollars in mystery herbs. Sadly, uncontrolled herbal products are just as likely to produce additional medical/physical symptoms as reduce your concerns.