My Husband’s Left Eye is Tearing

My husband has had left eye tearing and no symptoms except tear build up in the left eye. What is the cause and what should we do?

As a psychologist, my expertise is behind the eyes. However, your husband may have a type of infection, an allergy reaction, a problem with his left eye tear duct, or a variety of other eye conditions. I would recommend seeing the family physician. After an examination, your physician may refer you to an ophthalmologist who specializes in disorders/diseases of the eye. While the symptoms involve tearing, they do not involve crying. Crying tends to involve both eyes at the same time, again suggesting that your husband’s problem with his left eye is medical, not psychological in nature. I’d call the family physician today.