Unhappy Freshman: Getting Back on Track

Photo by CCAC North Library - http://flic.kr/p/7i7Kth - For illustration only

I am a freshman in college. During the first semester I felt fine and even for the majority of the second semester, too. However, about two weeks ago I just started to feel sad. I even cried every night for a week straight. I just look at the four more years I have to be in college, and I can’t see a light at the end of the tunnel. This semester will be over in less than a month, but the thought of coming back in the fall is such a terrible feeling. I just don’t know what to do. Can you help me?

You indicate that you felt fairly good during most of your first year of college. You also indicate that something changed, and it became much harder for you to look toward the future in a positive and hopeful light. You began crying more often and also became apprehensive and despondent about facing the ordeal of your continuing education.

All of the things you wrote suggest that you are evidencing some signs of depression. So, it would be in your best interest to pay a visit to your school’s counseling center and to be evaluated by one of the mental health staff.

There are various factors that can bring about a radical change in mood and increased stress. It would be best to address those issues with an experienced counselor and devise a plan for getting your life and your typical outlook back on track.